Job Search Help for Veterans
There are many ways in which former and current military members are honored, but when it comes to preparing for the next phase of their life, where they want to return to the civilian workforce, what most seek is support and guidance. Fortunately, there is job search support and guidance available. Itâs just a matter of knowing where to find it.
Sources like LinkedIn, which provides a wide platform for networking opportunities is helping prepare veterans and service members of the U.S. military to return to the civilian workforce. It offers support and guidance through LinkedIn for Good. Some of the benefits for veterans and people of the military community include:
Free Premium Career Subscription for 1-Year
Anyone can join LinkedIn, but through LinkedIn for Good, veterans and service members of the U.S. military are eligible for a free premium subscription. A premium subscription provides additional support to help individuals through the job search process, and there is unlimited access to a variety of courses that can help update oneâs knowledge and skills for the job. Many of the courses are taught by industry experts who fully understand whatâs important for professionals entering the field to know.
There are thousands of veterans with career questions and concerns about transitioning military skills into the civilian workforce. The Veteran Mentor Network on LinkedIn is a group where new contacts are made and questions may be asked to help job seekers along in the job search process.
Other Resources for Veterans
There are many other job search resources to help veterans and current military members reenter the civilian workforce.
- VetJobs is a veteran employment site helping to make the connection between employers and qualified veteran candidates. It offers resources include upcoming military related career fairs and career assessment testing to help individuals determine where their personality and skillset may best suit civilian jobs.
- Hire Heroes USA Job Board seeks to help veterans and military spouses with finding jobs. It features job postings from âPartnered Employersâ where Hire Heroes USA have relationships, so it helps applicants directly submit their resume to the employer. Users can also sign up for job alerts based on interests.
- Feds Hire Vets helps those seeking Federal employment. It also offers valuable information for veterans and transitioning service members about how Federal jobs are filled.
- Military.com joined forces with Monster. Military.comâs Veteran Employment Center can help to find military friendly jobs. It also features employers who support the hiring of servicemen and women.
- Veterans Employment Center is a veteranâs job bank where you can find the right position with the military experience and skills that you have.
There are hurdles to job searching in general, and when your experience is unlike that of the typical job candidate who may have business experience or professional internships, it can be a daunting task to try to translate your experience and skills into words that mean value to employers. Find more tips to creating or updating your LinkedIn profile in this article: â12 Ways to Get Your LinkedIn Profile Out There to Help with Your Job Search.â
When it comes to the resume, a different kind of resume is also needed. Itâs important to effectively translate military service experience and skills to valuable assets that are important and useful in the business world.
About Jobs works one-on-one with job seekers of all experience levels and in different phases of the career path. Each client is teamed up with a certified professional resume writer to craft a powerful resume that gains the attention of todayâs hiring managers. Call for help today at 800-909-0109 or visit us on LinkedIn!